Cabbage is a common vegetable with many health benefits. Bearded Dragons are a famous fan of having vegetables in their diet. The question to ask is if Bearded Dragons can eat cabbage as a vegetable in their diet?
Bearded Dragons can eat cabbage. It is safe for Bearded Dragons to eat cabbage; it is also very beneficial because it gives many nutritional benefits. It contains a high level of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory substances.
However, moderation is a major factor in feeding Bearded Dragons with cabbage to get the maximum benefits. Cabbage will only be a valuable addition to Bearded Dragons’ diet if added moderately. Excessive feeding of Bearded Dragons with cabbage can lead to adverse health effects.
How to Prepare Cabbage for Bearded Dragons?
All you have to do is to ensure that the cabbage is clean, remove the outer foliage, and chop it into sizes that can easily fit into the mouth of your Bearded Dragons. You can consider mixing it with other compatible fruits and vegetables, depending on their dietary needs.
There are not many techniques in preparing cabbage for Bearded Dragons since they only eat raw and fresh cabbage. Bearded Dragons might find it hard to eat cooked cabbage.
The first step in preparing cabbage for Bearded Dragons is getting one of the good qualities. You can leave it for about 3-6 days to drain excess water, reduce phosphorus activeness, and enhance calcium uptake.
Next, remove the cabbage’s outer foliage and wash with warm water to ensure it is safe for your Bearded Dragons. The mid-rib or stalk is hard to digest for the pets. Therefore, you should remove it. Splitting the cabbage into 3 or 4 pieces will make the removal easier.
Cut the cabbage into sizes that will easily fit into the mouth of your Bearded Dragons. Regularly check the cabbage while cutting for possible infection, insects, or warms.
How to Feed Bearded Dragons Cabbage?
The best way to feed cabbage to Bearded Dragons is fresh or raw. You shouldn’t cook cabbage for Bearded Dragons as they generally have issues with cooked food.
Therefore, there is no need for any special preparation. Once you can get fresh cabbage, leave it for a while for the water to drain.
Just chop the cabbage into sizable pieces that can fit into the mouth of your Bearded Dragons. You can consider mixing it with other fruits and vegetables.
Do Bearded Dragons Like Cabbage?
Although it is difficult to ascertain, it is safe to say Bearded Dragons like cabbage. They will eat it as much as you feed it to them.
Although the cabbage shouldn’t form a regular part of Bearded Dragons’ diet, it is not due to their non-likeness. It is only due to the adverse health effect of excessive feeding of cabbage to bearded dragons.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Purple Cabbage?
There are different types of cabbage Bearded Dragons can eat, and purple cabbage is undoubtedly one. So yes, Bearded Dragons will eat purple cabbage, and the nutrients are particularly excellent for your pet.
Purple cabbage is also known as red cabbage. Aside from the fact that it is crunchy and delicious, it is also the most nutritious cabbage option available for your Bearded Dragons.
It contains lots of fibers that can improve the digestion of your pets. Likewise, it contains vitamin C, which is one of the essential vitamins for Bearded Dragons. Vitamin C improves the Bearded Dragons’ immune system, growth, reproduction, vision, and immune system.
Other health benefits of purple cabbage for Bearded Dragons over different types include; low sugar and fat, more calcium and phosphorus, and reduced risk of obesity.
Benefits of Feeding Bearded Dragons with Vegetables
Feeding Bearded Dragons with cabbage are not just about preventing hunger. It also comes with a lot of health benefits. Below are some apparent benefits of feeding Bearded Dragons with cabbage.
- High vitamin C Composition : Vitamin C is one of the essential vitamins for the overall well-being of Bearded Dragons. It plays a vital role in your pet’s immune system, reproduction, vision, and muscle flexibility. Likewise, it helps in the blood clotting of Bearded Dragons, and the re-growth of worn-out tissues and muscles.
- Impressive Mineral Content : Minerals are essential in helping Bearded Dragons to perform their vital functioning. Cabbage contains major minerals like manganese, iron, zinc, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. These minerals help them lower blood pressure, help with the tissue growth, mitigate the risk of developing kidney stones, and protect nerves and muscles.
- High Dietary Fibers : Dietary fibers play a significant role in enhancing the digestion of Bearded Dragons. Therefore, cabbage helps them to maintain smooth and optimal bowel movements.
- Moderate Sugar and Fat : Sugar and fat are beneficial for Bearded Dragons only when available to them reasonably. Cabbage contains a relatively low amount of sugar that mitigates the possibility of diabetes, heart attack, and kidney failure.
- High Energy Level : Cabbage gives Bearded Dragons more energy than most other types of vegetables or fruit. This efficient energy supply to help them keep up with their activities.
- Potent Anti-inflammatory compounds and Antioxidants : Cabbage is rich in antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds, particularly sulfur and polyphenol compounds. These compounds will protect Bearded Dragons against the action of damaging free radicals.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Cabbage?
The diet of baby Bearded Dragons is not very different from that of adults. Yes, baby Bearded Dragons can eat cabbage as one of their essential green and leafy vegetables.
However, like adults, it is also to regulate the amount of cabbage you feed them. Feeding them cabbage once a week is sufficient.
Cabbage is a common vegetable, particularly among humans, and their pets. Bearded Dragons eat various types of vegetables, and cabbage is one of them. They eat almost all kinds of vegetables, either fresh or raw.
You can feed it to them singly or mixed with other types of vegetables and fruits. Bearded Dragons do not like cooked cabbage and might not eat it. Similarly, it is safer to avoid excessive cabbage in Bearded Dragons diet.