Did you notice your bearded dragon eating grapes? Are you afraid the grapes can affect your bearded dragon causing a hazard to its health? In this article, you will learn about grapes, their essentials, and how much nutrient it provides to bearded dragons. Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grapes?
Grapes are completely safe for bearded dragons to consume, Grapes should only be given as a treat. Grapes are part of the many fruit bearded dragons enjoy eating. In fact, bearded dragons love to eat grapes more than they love to eat vegetables.
Is it Safe for Bearded Dragons to Eat Grapes?
Eating fruits like grapes is a thing for bearded dragons as they will eat it any time you feed it to them. Grapes are safe to eat for your dragons unless you feed them to them in excess. To make grapes safe for your bearded dragons to eat, you should peel the skin and cut it to small sizes for them.
Grapes are also safe for bearded dragons to eat because of the nutritional value they offer. These nutritional values ensure the good health and constant growth of the bearded dragons. The nutritional values grapes offer bearded dragons include;
- Fiber : One of the nutritional values grape provides bearded dragons is fiber. Fiber is beneficial in bearded dragons as it aids smooth digestion. It also prevents constipation in your dragon.
- High Water Content : Grapes contain a high water content. These high water content, if used in appropriate doses, will prevent dehydration. It will also improve the functioning of the kidney.
- Low Acidic Content : Grapes are low in acidity, making them one of the appropriate fruits for bearded dragons. Bearded dragons have a low tolerance for acidic content as it can burn and damage their mouth. It can also damage their stomach lining.
- Potassium : Grapes also contain potassium that aids their good health. Potassium will help your bearded dragon regulate his blood pressure. It makes sure your bearded dragon has the right blood pressure for its good health.
- Antioxidants : Grapes serve as antioxidants for bearded dragons. They lower the risk of your bearded dragon developing heart diseases. It also prevents inflammation as well as prevents the development of allergies in your bearded dragons.
Grapes provide enough nutrients for bearded dragons, but their excess consumption can lead to many disasters. You have to feed the grapes to them in minimal quantities to ensure their good health. Here are some reasons you should not feed grapes to your bearded dragons in excess.
- Choking and Gut Impaction : Grapes can cause problems for your bearded dragons if fed in excess. Seeds in grapes can cause your bearded dragon to choke, especially when you feed it in large chunks. Excess grapes and grape seeds can cause gut impaction and block its digestive tract, causing it to defecate.
- Dehydration : It might surprise you that too many grapes can cause dehydration in your dragons despite their high water content. Excess water in your bearded dragons can cause diarrhea, which will, in turn, cause them to lose more water.
- Diabetes : Bearded dragons can encounter diabetic issues due to the high sugar content of grapes. Excess grape consumption can cause diabetes, obesity, and even tooth decay in your dragons. The excess grape can also lead to heart failure, fatty liver disease, and in worst cases, death.
- Oxalates : Grapes contain a handful of oxalate, an acid that binds with calcium in bearded dragons. It can cause health problems as the oxalate will draw out and absorb the calcium in the dragon’s body. Too much grape will lead to excess oxalates, which in turn will cause the reduction of calcium in the bearded dragon.
- Metabolic Bone Disease : Too many grapes can cause metabolic bone disease in your bearded dragons. Grapes do not contain much calcium, so too much of it will put your bearded dragon at risk of disease. It causes pain for your dragon, and in some cases, it can cause paralysis or death.
- Phosphorus : Phosphorus acts like oxalates when it comes to the absorption of calcium. Grapes also contain 5 times more phosphorus than calcium, which is why you should not feed grapes in excess to your dragons. Phosphorus will perform a great job in preventing calcium absorption into the bloodstream, so you should not feed it to your bearded dragon in excess.
Knowing the do’s and don’ts of grapes, you would see it is safe to feed them to your bearded dragons only if fed moderately. It becomes unsafe when you feed it to them in excess. Grapes are beneficial for bearded dragons, and they can cause harm as much as they help.
100g Grape Nutrition Value
The below shows the nutrition value of 100g of grapes
- Fat : 0.02g
- Sodium : 2.0 mg
- Sugars : 15.0 g
- Protein : 0.7 g
- Vitamin A : 1.3 %
- Vitamin c : 5.3 %
- Calcium : 0.8 %
- Iron : 2 %
Source for above figures
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Red and Purple Grapes?
Bearded dragons will eat grapes whenever they come across them. It is essential to know the type of grape your bearded dragon will like to have. Fortunately, a bearded dragon will feed on any grapes, regardless of the color.
The dragons will eat red, purple, green, and other types of grapes. You have to feed it to them in small quantities to make them fit for the bearded dragons. Excess consumption of any of these grapes can lead to issues with their health.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grape Leaves?
Bearded dragons will eat grape leaves if you feed them to them. Grape leaves are good food for dragons as they contain a high amount of nutrients. Grape leaves contain a high amount of protein and calcium, and low phosphorus, making them suitable for consumption.
You can feed grape leaves to bearded dragons more frequently than you do with grapes themselves. Excessive consumption of grape leaves does not pose any hazards to the health of your dragon. Instead, it provides many nutrients for your bearded dragon.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grape Skin?
Grape skins are highly nutritional for bearded dragons. They pose no problem with digestion in your dragon and contain nutrients that ensure your reptile’s good health. You can feed the skin with fruits, depending on how you want it served to your dragon.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Grape Pips?
Grape pips, also known as grape seeds, are not very suitable for your bearded dragons. They can cause your dragon to choke and even cause more complicated issues. The seed can block the digestive tract of your beardie, making it difficult for them to defecate.
Consumption of the seed can also cause gut impaction. Try your best not to feed grape pips to your bearded dragons. If you do, you should feed them in extreme quality.
Do You Have to Peel Grapes for Bearded Dragons?
Grape skin is highly nutritious and beneficial to bearded dragons. You do not have to peel the skin of your fruit before feeding it to your reptile. Bearded dragons can also eat the skin of the fruit without the fruit itself without any problem.
When feeding the dragon, you should prepare the fruits in small sizes. Large chunks of the grape skin can cause choking. Ensure you do not feed the bearded dragon with the skin frequently to prevent any problem.
How to Prepare Grapes for Your Bearded Dragon
You have to know how to prepare grapes before you feed them to them. Your bearded dragon can be in great danger if you do not properly prepare the grapes. Here are some simple steps to follow when preparing grapes for bearded dragons.
- Wash the grapes with clean water to get rid of dirt.
- Check the grape for seeds, and make sure you remove all.
- Cut the grape into small sizes with or without the skin.
- You can serve the grape solo or add other vegetables.
- You can also add grape leaves to the treatment for a better combination.
How Many Grapes Can a Bearded Dragon Eat?
The number of grapes to feed your bearded dragon depends on how much your dragon reacts to them. If your dragon does not suffer from diabetes, obesity, other similar health issues, then you can feed the dragon one or two grapes in a week. If it suffers from these diseases, you should reduce or restrain yourself from feeding them again.
Can Baby Dragons Eat Grapes?
Baby dragons can eat grapes if they become hungry, but you should make sure you only feed them a treat. Constant or excessive consumption of grapes by baby dragons can lead to an adverse effect on their health. Grapes are also high in fiber, making them suitable for bearded dragons.
Benefits for Bearded Dragons Eating Grapes
There are several benefits of feeding grapes to your bearded dragons. Here are some of the benefits;
- It reduces constipation and aids smooth digestion.
- It lowers the risk of heart diseases and other diseases.
- It reduces and prevents inflammation.
- It prevents dehydration in bearded dragons.
- It helps improve kidney function in bearded dragons.
- It also helps regulate blood pressure in dragons.
Bearded dragons will eat grapes whenever you feed them to them. But you have to give them moderately as excessive consumption can pose dangers to their health. Feeding them with a grape once or twice a week is enough.