Do you have some left over mango and you are wondering if you can feed it to your dragon?
Bearded dragons love to eat juicy fruit, but what about mango.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango?
Bearded dragons can eat mango, You have to slice into small pieces to prevent it from choking. You can serve it in a salad or alone to your bearded dragon; it will eat it, either way.
How to Feed Bearded Dragons Mango?
As much as it is essential to feed your bearded dragons, you also have to know the right way, procedure, and steps to follow when giving them food.
One of the foods you can feed your bearded dragon is mangoes. Although vegetables make most of their diet, fruits like mangoes also play an essential role in their diet.
Below is a video of a bearded dragon eating mango
[youtube v=”1nR8-CdT1xk” start=”00:07″]
Mangoes tend to choke bearded dragons, which is one reason you have to know the right way to feed them. Below are some factors to take note of when you feed them with mangoes.
- The best mango type to feed bearded dragons are ripe ones, and not unripe ones. Ripe mangoes contain more antioxidants and are also tastier.
- Wash the mango thoroughly before feeding it to the dragons. You can also remove the peel and serve them the main deal. Although the mango’s peel is very nutritious, it is better to remove it as they can be too rough for the bearded dragons.
- Slice the mango into small pieces to prevent the reptile from choking.
After carrying out these procedures, you can serve the mango meal to the bearded dragons, and let them fill. Ensure you do not feed the reptiles with mango meal every day as it can affect their health. Create a timetable that helps balance and accommodate the mango, vegetables, and other foods you feed to your bearded dragons.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango Skin?
Every part of mango fruit is nutritious to a bearded mango, aside from the seed, which might probably be useful for other applications. Like how the dragons feed on mango and get nutrients, they also feed on the skin, and still get nutrients. The mango skin is very nutritious, and you can feed them to your reptiles.
Although the mango’s skin is nutritious to the bearded dragons, it is better to feed them. The mango skin can be too rough for your dragon, making it not very suitable for consumption. The skin can also have a little adverse effect on your dragon so, if you are going to feed it to the reptile, you have to be very careful.
Mango skin can also choke the bearded dragons. Therefore, you should also slice the skin into smaller pieces to ensure perfect and harm-free consumption.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Mango?
Like adult bearded dragons, baby bearded dragons can also be fed with mangoes as a diet. They can provide on the skin and the main mango, but you have to be moderate about this fruit, feeding it to them occasionally. Regular feeding of mango to the bearded baby dragon can lead to a deviation from its normal state of health.
Mangoes contain a moderate oxalate level, which can bind with calcium to form a deadly substance that can cause metabolic bone disease. This disease affects reptiles like bearded dragons, both adults and baby bearded dragons. Whether the bearded dragon is young or full-grown, you have to be moderate with how you feed it with the mangoes.
Baby bearded dragons have a high chance of choking, which means you have to slice the mango into tiny pieces to ensure easy consumption. You also have to wash the fruit before feeding it to the baby dragons. If you do not intend to feed the baby dragons with the skin, which is the right choice, you should peel the mango’s skin before providing them with it.
Can I Feed Bearded Dragons With Frozen Mangoes?
There is so little, a negligible difference between frozen fruits and fresh fruits regarding nutrients. Some fruits have more nutrients when frozen than new, which means you have no problem feeding, your bearded dragon with frozen fruits. You can feed the dragon with frozen mangoes, but you should feed it moderately to prevent mangoes’ adverse effects.
Another thing to check out when feeding your bearded dragons with frozen mangoes, is how fast they rot or decompose. Fresh fruits tend to disintegrate quickly in the dragon’s tank faster than frozen food, making frozen mango a more suitable food for your dragons. It is safe and adequate to feed your bearded dragons with frozen mangoes as there are not many disadvantages of the fruit being frozen.
Frozen mangoes are also very edible and do not contain many micro-organisms because you subjected them to a low temperature. Most microorganisms cannot thrive in that condition. Freezing the mango also retains its nutrient and taste-making more edible and yummy for the dragons. It is safe and secure to feed your bearded dragon with frozen mangoes; be rest assured because being ‘frozen’ does not affect them; it only helps them.
Do They Like Mango?
Bearded dragons are omnivorous reptiles, which means they can feed on plants, insects, and other food varieties. They are not picky over food as they will eat most food, provided it is edible and healthy to eat. Although they prefer some foods that you might mistake for being picky, they are not fussy, and they will eat every food that seems right to them.
Mango is one of the foods of bearded dragons, which means they will not hate it. Bearded dragons love to feed on mango and will eat it, anytime you feed them with it. Mangoes provide high nutrients to bearded dragons, and it is so sweet they can hardly resist it, so why wouldn’t they like it?
Nutritional Information For Mango
Listed below are the nutritional information for a 100g mango serving
- Saturated Fat : 0 g
- Protein : 1 g
- Calcium : 14 mg
- Iron : 0.02 mg
- Vitamin A : 67 mcg
- Vitamin C : 45 mg
- Vitamin E : 1.1 mg
- Vitamin K : 5.2 mg
Above figures were supplied by this site
Benefits Feeding Your Bearded Dragon Mango
The mango provides enough nutrients that the bearded dragons need for their routine activities. Here are some nutritional values of mangoes to bearded dragons;
- It provides vitamin A and C that helps enhance your bearded dragon’s immune system and improves vision, growth, and reproduction.
- It provides vitamin E that helps the bearded dragon prevent inflammation and repair damaged cells.
- Mangoes provide vitamin K that helps maintain tissue, and blood cells.
- Provides fiber that promotes the regular digestion of food of the bearded dragons.
- It also includes folates that assist in the maintenance of blood cells and tissues.
- It includes antioxidants that enhance digestion and strengthens the immune system.
- Mangoes also contain manganese that will help in maintaining healthy muscles and brains.
- It also contains zinc that helps the bearded dragons recover from injury.
- They are rich in potassium that helps regulate the nervous system and blood pressure of the reptiles. It also helps them retain water and ensure proper muscle work in bearded dragons.
- Mangoes have a moderate oxalate level. Oxalates can be very harmful when in excess, but mangoes contain them reasonably, making it suitable for occasional feeding.
- They contain a balanced ratio of calcium and phosphorus. The phosphorus prevents calcium from binding with oxalates ensuring healthy living.
Benefits of Bearded Dragon eating mango
There are several benefits the bearded dragon can get from eating mangoes. Just like every other fruit, mangoes provide nutritional advantages to the dragons. The mango helps the reptile boost its immune system, enhance its vision, and ensure healthy growth and reproduction.
It also helps in maintaining the tissue and blood, and also promotes regular digestion of food. Mangoes also help bearded dragons recover from injury and helps regulate the nervous system and blood pressure. It strengthens the immune system and repairs worn-out tissues.
Issues of Bearded Dragon Eating Mango
- High sugar level : Mangoes have high sugar levels, and this might be one of the problems you will encounter when feeding your bearded dragon with it regularly. Too much sugar can be harmful to the health of your dragon. It can also cause obesity in the reptile. Therefore, you have to watch how you feed them with mangoes.;
- Low calcium : Mangoes do not provide a good deal of calcium, resulting in a deficiency of calcium if they constitute the bearded dragon’s main meals. Ensure you feed the dragons with calcium-rich foods and prevent and occasionally feed them with mangoes.
- High vitamin A level : Some bearded dragons are at the risk of vitamin A toxicity, which they developed from taking vitamin A supplement. Mangoes are rich in vitamin A and can be very harmful to these reptiles.
Bearded dragons are the eight species of reptiles that belong to the genus Pogona. They got their name from the beard-like structure at the underside of their throat that changes color for several reasons, with stress inclusive. As its name implies, it has an armor of spiny scales that make it look like a dragon, thus a bearded dragon.
Bearded dragons can feed on mangoes, but you have to note some necessary details before you feed them with it. You have to know the nutritional benefits, and the adverse effects of feeding mangoes before you venture into feeding them. Mangoes are nutritious for bearded dragons, but you have to consider some factors before feeding them with it.
- 1 Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango?
- 2 How to Feed Bearded Dragons Mango?
- 3 Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango Skin?
- 4 Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Mango?
- 5 Can I Feed Bearded Dragons With Frozen Mangoes?
- 6 Do They Like Mango?
- 7 Nutritional Information For Mango
- 8 Benefits Feeding Your Bearded Dragon Mango
- 9 Benefits of Bearded Dragon eating mango
- 10 Issues of Bearded Dragon Eating Mango
- 11 Conclusion