Do you believe that pellets are essential for your guinea pig’s diet?
What happens if you skip the pellets and stick to hay or vegetables instead?
In this article, we’ll find out how important pellets are for guinea pigs.
Do Guinea Pigs Need Pellets?
Guinea pigs need hay more than pellets. Measure 1/8 cup of pellets per day and don’t overfeed them. Hay comprises 70-80% of a guinea pig’s diet and should be plentiful. Supplementing with pellets, vitamin rich vegetables and fruits will help balance their diets.
What Can I Give My Guinea Pigs Instead Of Pellets?
Your guinea pig would love variety in its diet. Certain fruits that are high in sugar will not be tolerated well in daily doses.
Offer them in small amounts the size of your index finger 1-3 times a week. The following list of fresh foods can be offered for your guinea pig to enjoy as often as 1/2 to 1 cup a day.
- Romaine lettuce (never iceberg lettuce)
- Carrots and carrot tops
- Broccoli spears
- Green and red bell peppers
- Other dark green veggies
Can A Guinea Pig Survive On Just Hay?
Hay alone won’t carry the necessary nutrition to satisfy your guinea pig’s dietary needs. Nevertheless, offer as much hay as you wish. Your guinea pig may consume up to its body weight in hay per day.
Add pellets, vitamin C wafers and fresh vegetables to supplement a hay heavy diet for your guinea pig to munch on.
How Do I Get My Guinea Pig To Eat Pellets?
If you have a guinea pig that refuses to eat pellets, start by offering more variety instead of forcing this single meal option.
Take 4-5 pellets in your hand and begin bonding with your guinea pig. Offer the pellets in between praise and communication. Take it slowly and don’t be frustrated as your guinea pig might pick up on your discomfort and stop eating.
Thank you for visiting HomePetHelp.com for information regarding guinea pigs and plenty of other pets that we greatly enjoy caring for. Please check out more articles that may interest you. See you next time!
- 1 Do Guinea Pigs Need Pellets?
- 2 Are Guinea Pig Pellets Necessary?
- 3 What Do Guinea Pigs Eat In the Wild?
- 4 Why Choose Pellets For Guinea Pigs?
- 5 What Are The Types of Guinea Pig Pellets?
- 6 What Should I Feed My Guinea Pig?
- 7 What Happens If I Only Feed My Guinea Pig Pellets?
- 8 Why Is Hay More Important Than Pellets?
- 9 Do Guinea Pigs Need Pellets Everyday?
- 10 What Can I Give My Guinea Pigs Instead Of Pellets?
- 11 Can A Guinea Pig Survive On Just Hay?
- 12 How Do I Get My Guinea Pig To Eat Pellets?